Archbishop of York

RSS

On 24th May 1821, the congregation met at the Old Brig chapel, and walked down Wharf Street to the new church.  Christ Church was built on land purchased from Timothy Bates.  Due to the commitments of the Archbishop of York the church opened for public worship under licence, it was a further two years before Archbishop Edward Venables Vernon could make it to Sowerby Bridge to dedicate the building to the worship of God.

As part of our celebrations marking 200 years of Christ Church the Archbishop of York, the Most Revd. and Rt Hon. Stephen Cottrell will be preaching in church on Sunday March 20th.  He will be joined by the Ven. Bill Braviner, the newly appointed Archdeacon of Halifax.

Our service of Parish Communion starts at 10:30 and lasts about 90 minutes.

 


Printer Printable Version